Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Haunted Tour: New Orleans

Ok so I know I explained my obsession with Halloween here.  But when I saw that Helene and Sarah are hosting a Halloween link-up, I had to revisit the subject.  So I turned on my spooky fall playlist in my headphones and got to writing.

The point of this link-up to discuss anything Halloween.  I mentioned in my previous post that I had my bachelorette party in New Orleans on Halloween a few years ago.  It was actually more like a bridesmaids get-away that also included my mother and aunt.
My wonderful bridesmaids flew in from all over for two nights and three days of spooky, drunken fun in NOLA.
NOLA is my favorite place to visit for many reason such as my father’s family is from there, the music, the food and the history.  The haunted history epically fascinates me so on Halloween evening we got dressed up in our best vampire duds and took a haunted history tour. 





 
It was easily one of the most fun things I have ever done.  Unfortunately because the tour stopped every so often at a bar where we were able to partake in drink deals, we didn’t make it all the way to end of the tour.  13 women drinking a lot make for a pretty rowdy tour group.  Long story short…we got kicked out of the tour. 
This was our tour guide and she did not especially love us by the end of the evening.
 
New Orleans is considered to be the most haunted city in America.  Some of the more famous ghost stories about New Orleans take place in the French Quarter where many of the buildings are said to be haunted.  Today I will play your tour guide to some the most haunted houses in the French Quarter.
Starting with the story of the Haunting of the Octoroon Mistress, 734 Royal Street.
The history of the Ocotoroons is fascinating and heartbreaking to begin with, but the story of the Octoroon Mistress really resonates with tourists due to its' "romantic" origins. Here is a little background from Wikipedia...
The term Octoroon is used for people in New Orleans in the 1800s that were 1/8 black, 7/8 white. These octoroons were known as freed blacks. They received the best education and were often very wealthy. Masked balls were used as a way for rich Creoles to obtain an octoroon mistress. Because of their different social statuses, octoroons and Creole men were not allowed to marry. This became an issue because these women often fell deeply in love.  The house at 734 Royal Street is haunted by the ghost of a beautiful octoroon named Julie. Well, Julie was head-over-heels in love with the man who “kept” her as a mistress, and she wanted nothing more than to get married. One cold December night during a ball, he decided to make a sort of dare. He told Julie that if she could prove her love for him by standing naked on the roof of the house all night until dawn, he would then marry her. He did not believe that she would accept this challenge. He went back downstairs to enjoy the ball. The next morning the he went to Julie's room to check on her. He was surprised to find her room empty. He immediately rushed upstairs to the roof. When he looked outside he saw his mistress huddled near the eave of the roof, frozen to death. The octoroon mistress is said to haunt the house she once resided in. Some people say on a cold and damp night you can see her figure pacing on the rooftop waiting for her lover to return."

Here is one of the pictures I took on the tour. 
 
Notice the glowing entity on the far right roof?  It appears in all of my pictures I took of this house on that night  Spooky eh?
Next stop....
The LaLaurie House, 1140 Royal Street. 
 
If you have been watching this season of American Horror Story then you will be somewhat familiar with perhaps the most gruesome and famous of French Quarter ghost stories.

Built in 1831, the three-story home belonged to Dr. Louis LaLaurie and his wife Delphine.  Delphine was a very popular New Orleans resident.  She would often throw fantastic balls at their beautiful home.  She was highly esteemed in society for her charitable work among the sick and the poor. She was said to be the most beautiful and influential French-Creole woman in New Orleans.  She and her daughters were among the most fashionable women in the city.
This was a time in American history were it was common to own slaves and Madame LaLaurie was not an exception.  She had dozens tending to her home and her family.  To make matters worse, she treated them cruelly.  Although slavery is cruel in and of itself, there was actually a law in New Orleans at the time that forbade slave holders to treat their slaves cruelly.  Of course it now seems absurd to think that there was a way to own slaves in a non-cruel fashion, however, Madame L treated hers in such a way that despite her good reputation, people began to complain to authorities about just how cruel she seemed to treat her slaves.  She was soon fined and her slaves were taken away to be sold at auction.  She then persuaded friends to buy her slaves and then sell them back to her.
In 1834, when a fire broke out in the Lalaurie residence, firemen smashed open a locked interior door and came upon a scene surpassing horror.  They basically stumbled upon a torture chamber.  I won’t go into all of the horrible details.  Just Google the story if you want to know the extent of her madness. She disappeared and nobody knows for sure what happened to her.  The house has had trouble retaining an owner since these horrible events.  Nobody has owned the house for more than 5 years.  There have been hundreds of accounts of terrifying noises and sightings at the house.  Nicolas Cage owned the home for a while but lost it when he went bankrupt.
 
You could not pay me to party up there.  I got a seriously eerie feeling standing outside this house.  I worked up the nerve to run over and touch its’ walls the night of the tour but since then refuse to walk past it on the same side of the street, even in the daylight.
I will leave you with a little more light-hearted story.  My favorite bar in New Orleans is Jean Laffite’s Blacksmith Shop, 934 Bourbon Street.

 
The building is one of the oldest in New Orleans and one of the only left with the traditional French architecture due to multiple fires in the Quarter.  The Pirate Jean Laffite is said to still haunt this bar. Here is a little background on the building, the haunting and the pirate himself.  This building is beyond cool.  Not only is it a great bar, it is the longest running bar in America.  If you go you MUST have a VooDoo Daiquiri for me.  They taste like kool-aid but lordy they pack a punch.
I personally have never felt any strange auras while in the Blacksmith Shop but a good friend of mine who writes over at The Peacock Pad recently took this picture.
How cool is that?
If you ever get the chance to go to NOLA on Halloween don’t hesitate.  It was one of the coolest experiences I have ever had.  The people hold nothing back as far as costumes...





Decor...



And atmosphere....

 


Have a great time but stay in a group...you never know what may be lurking around the corner.

 
The Baby Giraffe
 
Helene in Between

12 comments:

  1. Gosh I love NOLA so so so much. So that one that Nicholas Cage used to own, that picture you took, were those people seriously having a party there? Gooooosh no, I couldn't do that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how everyone participated with the theme. You guys look super awesome!

    Stopping by the linkup :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! My favorite bar is the Old Absinthe House. You have given me a great reason to spend Halloween in NOLA with your wonderful pics and stories :) DG

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never spent halloween in new orleans but it looks like an absolute blast!! i love how everyone dressed up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun is this!? You're braver than I am. I had no idea that the story on AHS was kinda true! That makes it so much better.

    xo Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds like THE MOST AWESOME bachelorette weekend ever!!! Happy to be your newest follower :)

    Meg

    ReplyDelete
  7. THAT is an awesome bachelorette party. I am definitely going to google LaLaurie now. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I took your advice and checked ya out. I love this post. I also love a scary story with some history and crazy cool photos to go along with it. I would love to go to New Orleans at Halloween. My aunt and her family lived in Lafayette and Southerners know how to par-tay. I can't imagine how awesome and wild Halloween would be there. Very cool. Thanks for stopping by my blog today. :)

    http://www.haleyspace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Halloween in New Orleans?! Squee!! Color me green. I loved this little tour of haunted Nola. And by the way, you listened to scary music as you wrote this? ME TOO!!! Double squee! I put my headphones on and wrote mine last night and thought "you are so weird". Thank you for being weird with me, and thank you for posting another spooky tale for the linkup. I was beginning to think I did it wrong. This was my status on my personal Facebook last night

    I'm locked in the shapeless dark of our movie theater, listening to the music scores from John Carpenter's Halloween and The Fog and working on another eerie Halloween post for tomorrow. Thank goodness the dogs are all in here with me. I need them to protect me from Michael Myers and the ghosts of the Elizabeth Dane, swept in from the sea on a fog bank at the stroke of the witching hour.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh! That looks so fun! I love NOLA. My husband's sister lives down there, and when we went for vacation a couple of years ago, I begged him to go on a haunted tour with me. Needless to say, we never went. But from what I can see, we would of had a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So NOLA has the best Halloween peeps ever! These spooky couples are beyond awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So spooky stories . I am intrigued . I never leave a good horror story and location to be exact . Eeeek , all the costumes are freaky awesome.
    Noor's Place

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis