Friday, November 29, 2013

The Princess Epidemic

As you shop and drop on this Black Friday, I have a fun suggestions for the little girls in your life.  GoldieBlox.


Personally, I have never understood the obsession with being a princess or wanting to be treated like one.  When I was little I never pretended to be a princess and rarely played with baby dolls.  I pretended to be a news anchor, mad scientist, archeologist, lawyer, Pipi Longstockings, a magician, a sleuth, a potter, marine biologist, librarian and an international spy.  I wasn't a nerd at all.

Remember Spy Tech?


I had all that crap.

GoldieBlox would have been a dream come true for me.  It teaches girls about engineering, building, creating and spatial visual ability.  Toys, such as Lincoln Logs, that teach this ability have been geared only toward little boys for over a century.

I am sure most of you have seen the Youtube sensation commercials for GoldieBlox.  The commercials', set to Queen's "We are the Champions" and The Beastie Boys' "Girls", portray little girls fed up with their limited toy options in the Pink Aisle and gears them toward learning about engineering in a fun way.  Look up the Golideblox commercials on Youtube if you haven't seen them.

I am not saying anything is wrong with little girls who dream of being a princess. I just think it is wonderful that someone is taking notice that there are little girls out there who have other interests, like me when I was a child.  Anyone else remember Natural Wonders????


That store was BOMB!  I would spend hours in there when I was little.

If you have a spare moment, check out this speech given by the creator, a Stanford engineering grad, of GoldieBlox.  She explains the developemental and thought process behind the brand. Very inspiring.

Anyway, I just thought I would share this with y'all while you are out and about searching for that perfect gift for the kick-ass little girls in your life.

Shop till you drop,

tbg

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis