Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Merry Christmas and a Happy Narcissism!!!

A few months ago I gave myself a few goals that I thought, if obtained, would make me a better adult and a more effective person.

One of those goals was to send out holiday cards for the first time.

I had visions of the Fella and I adorned in our best layers of J. Crew and L.L. Bean, sitting on the festively decorated front stoop of our brand new house with our loving dogs newly quaffed and sitting perfectly by our side, tails and tongues wagging in happiness.

But then I thought, who is going to take the picture? Will I have to buy a tri-pod? Or for that matter...a camera? If not, will I have to pay someone to come take the pictures? Who do I know that lives nearby that I could ask to just drive over and take a few pictures of us? Well, it was all too stressful. Lame, I know.

So instead, I decided to start small. I was going to just pick from a few pictures of the two of us over the last year and upload it to a website of some sort and crop it into one of those readymade templates. And when I saw that Walgreens is having a 33% off sale for their holiday cards for the next week or so, I knew it was time.

But which picture? Nothing is worse than studying pictures of yourself with an editing eye. Yuck. I wanted the picture to have some meaning. I wanted it to be from one of our travels over the last year or so and like I said, I wanted our dogs in it. I wanted to use this picture from our trip to Fredericksburg, TX in March...


But, all you could see was Cooper's starfish.  Not very festive.  I was going to have to give up on the dog idea, for this year at least.

I had a list of a few others to choose from but there was something wrong with each...

Red solo cups are not classy...


I look constipated...


 We were drunk and it shows...


This is the one I wanted but our face kept showing as blurry in the preview of the card, but that is what you get for using Iphone pics...

 
So, I let the Fella choose and he chose this one of us on my birthday trip to New Orleans in March...


I wasn't nuts about it because I thought it was too much of our faces and looked pretty narcissistic but that is what we went with...and I did love the memory behind this picture. Our large group was running around New Orleans after a night of partying, it had to be about 3am and it was cold. I grabbed the hubby and made him take a quick shot of us because I realized that we had not taken a picture together that evening. This was the result. Makes me happy to think about.

Ok, there is a point to all of this. So I uploaded and ordered the cards, on discount, ready in an hour, they come with envelopes; I was scoring left and right. Feeling pretty efficient and good about my journey into semi-adulthood. I promptly arrived to Walgreens as the expiration of the hour came to a close. I pull out my card to pay and I think to myself to check the cards and make sure the picture is not too grainy. I do so. They look decent for a $14 attempt. I am about to hand over my card and something nags at me....I whip the cards at to inspect them once more....

Wishing you Peace, Love and Joy this Holiday Season, Micah and Sasha.....er, wait. Not our names. Shit. I forgot to replace the sample names with our own. Winner, winner, chicken dinner.
 
Welp. Failed that test of adulthood. Moral of this story, stop caring what you look like.  Worrying about looking narcissistic is pretty narcissistic. Get over myself, self. It is a holiday card. Not the Declaration of Independence. People will just be happy to see that we made it through another year intact and with the same names our mother's gave us...

Luckily, Wal-Greens didn't charge me and I got to just resubmit my order with the new, correct names.

So, still a semi-score.

Happy for the Holidays creeping upon us,

tbg


4 comments:

  1. This would so happen to me! It's the reason I get too scared to do a holiday card and back out every year!
    Champagne Lifestyle on a Beer Budget

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Micah and Sasha could be your witness protection program names.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey have you heard of Minted.com? Check it out. And if you have a friend who is a budding photographer have them take the picture. If not consider hiring a student they may be able to work in to one of their projects. Also look for photoshop elements which are effects that can be applied to the photo.

    Allie of Dressing Ken

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can totally picture myself in this and thats why I use printed cards and buy them at 60% off:):)

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis