Thursday, November 7, 2013

In the green

This month’s featured home belongs to my aunt and uncle, M&M.  It is their get-a-way house sitting on a hill in a petrified forest in Southeast Texas.  Surrounded by green succulents and petrified wood, amongst deer and other shy wildlife.  It is really dreamy.





The home was a midcentury with all of the original details. They renovated it but paid homage to its era.  My uncle has flawless taste.  I call him the Renaissance man. Although his day job is practicing the law, he is also a painter, photographer, musician, singer, should be interior decorator and stylist.  His talents are endless. I mean, how cool do you have to be to pull off this look?


Pretty damn cool.  Speaking of cool, check out the house...
 
He has an unbelievable eye and he and my aunt curate beautiful pieces of art and other décor that make my heart race.  I think of the furniture as works of art themselves. My uncle has a knack for mixing old and new and making nostalgic pieces feel fresh and reborn. 
 


 

The real stunners of the interior are the bedrooms.  They are luxurious and layered and they make you want to curl up in them with a cappuccino and mounds of books.

The grounds are the kind that make you want to pack a lunch and a notebook and go on long nature walks collecting things while recording your finds.


M&M have collected things from their wanderings and displayed their treasures as works of art themselves.  If you know me at all, you know how I cherish collections like I just described.

 
My favorite area is the covered "porch", for lack of a better word.  This picture does not do justice to the amazing details of the salvaged painter's table.  But when do pictures ever do justice to Heaven on Earth?


Here is their baby Arthur La Rouge.  Isn't he adorable? 


Their every day home is an inspiration as well.  I only have one picture of that home, and it is of my favorite room in the house and one of my favorite rooms ever...my uncle's office.


My aunt and uncle mean so much to me and have taught me so many things.  I feel like they have helped me grow as a person and I am happy to become their friend and not just their niece. Like me, they like to surround themselves with things they think are beautiful and make them happy. 

My aunt is the kind of woman who never wants to stop learning.  She is eager to see the world in a whole new light and from other people's perspectives.  I think of her as someone who likes to constantly improve upon themselves, if that makes sense.  She never rests on who she is or what she knows. She likes to read and learn and grow.  I love that about her.

Plus she is really fun to party with once she gets a little St. Germain in her....


Dreaming of days in the Green Gables,

tbg


No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis