Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Fatty Tuesday

Like I needed an excuse to eat sugar covered icing slathered all over fried dough!



But damn it's good.

I am missing Nola so much right now and my husband was sweet enough to get me a King Cake to cheer me up.  Too bad I will hate myself after I eat it all. Just kidding.  I only ate half.  My office mates get the rest. 

I thought it may be fun to share with you my favorite piece of artwork in my home.

It is a hand painted scarf from Umberto Romano's Mardi Gras in Italy 1957 series...very apropos.




Isn't it dreamy???  It is on the wall next to my side of the bed.  I just lay there and stare at it because I love it so much.

Romano was a very cool artist and the coolest thing about him was that his aesthetic change constantly but without ever losing characteristics uniquely his own.  The Mardi Gras series was a very small part of who he was as an artist but it is a part that really resonates with me.  He was a celebrity at this particular time in his life.  He was commissioned to paint many murals one of which was in the restrooms of a hip, new restaurant in New York.

Here he is with Mr. High Noon himself, Gary Cooper, discussing his bathroom mural...


It cracks me up that they are standing among toilets. 

I hope you all have a great Fat Tuesday, drink some Abita and get to pinch some heads and suck some tails.  I know I will be doing just that this evening. 

Justice, power and faith,

tbg


 

2 comments:

  1. What a lovely piece! Thanks for sharing. I get such a good education from your blog :). Happy Mardi Gras!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful picture!!! Thanks for sharing.

    RT

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis